Monday, June 29, 2009

Dribble Drive Motion

Ever since the dribble drive motion was made popularized by Vance Walberg and then by John Calipari at Memphis I have been overly intrigued with it. When my team, the New Jersey Nets, decided to adopt principles of the dribble drive last season I decided I needed to learn more.

So I read about it online, read books, bought the DVD the whole bit. I still continue to try and collect and information about the offense. This year, the team I coach with has decided to incorporate the dribble drive into our offense, so I'm getting a first hand look at the breakdown and development of the offense. I will try and keep my thoughts and observations here on this blog.

In our first day of implementing the offense we just went over the most basic reads that our guys are going to be needing to make. The basic terminology of the offense (the rack zone, the drop zone, etc.) and our overall spacing. So we really didn't get into the finer details yet of the offense, but so far here is my observations.

- First of all spacing is going to be the key to the offense. The driving lanes become wide, very wide when the correct spacing is obtained. When the spacing breaks down, so to do the driving lanes. Without the driving lanes the dribble drive is not nearly as effective. Making sure that ball side wing stays down in the corner is going to be important.

- Our team is composed mostly of guards and players who can knock down the three which is a big reason we decided to change to this offense. That being said, I noticed yesterday that with one of the products of the offense being drive and kick opportunities for open threes, it now makes everyone on the floor that much more dangerous and really puts a premium on shooters.

- Through one day it seems the kids are having just an overall more fun time with playing. Who wouldn't like playing in an offense where the focus is attacking?

No comments:

Post a Comment