Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blogging About Coaching

The internet is an amazing place really. The thing I love most about the internet is the wealth of information available to someone in any particular area they'd like to discover. For me, through the interent, and Twitter I've been able to find a whole group of fellow coaches who love the game just as much as I do. One of those coaches is named Steve Finamore. He is the Head Basketball Coach at Jackson Community College. He runs his own blog about coaching. As a young coach just trying to learn the craft, his blog has been extremely helpful and informative.

One of his latest entries which I have enjoyed thoroughly has been a three part series on coaching. Take a look and enjoy.

Part 1 - Improvement

"We often ask our players/athletes to improve. Some coaches demand it on a daily basis. I tell my guys ‘do something every day to get better’. My thought tonight is, ‘am I as a coach working to improve my team and myself as much as I can’?"

Part 2 - Work Ethic

"Working hard is doing what has to be done regardless if it takes you 8 hours or 14. If you work your tail off, anything is possible. But you have to be willing to work. Give so much time to working hard; don’t leave any stone unturned. One of my favorite actors of all time Steve McQueen said, “Hard work is essential to any lasting success. Don’t let work bug you."

Part 3 - Why I Coach?

"Dean Smith once said not to chase the money when coaching. When it gets right down to it, money is a factor, but shouldn’t be the overall reason for coaching. Prestige and fame are two reasons why you shouldn’t coach."

Hope you enjoy and if your at any stage of the coaching game - just starting all the way through to established veteran those three parts are must reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment