Monday, July 6, 2009

Cream Rises to the Top

Hello all. Finally back to the blog after a long July 4th weekend spent in the Jersey Shore. Some great hoops being played down there over the long hot weekend. Lots of good fun but now its back to hoops talk.

Before I went down the shore on Thursday night I attended a mens league game played at a basketball complex nearby me. I was going to watch the team I coach with, so we brought our 10 or so Division III players.

The team we were playing had a mix of older men and younger men. The one young man was an outstanding player. A guard about 6-2, could handle, could shoot. He had one of the quickest releases I had seen and had deep range.

We threw a bunch of different players on him, but really couldn't do much to slow him down. After the game I found the player I'm talking about is headed to Columbia University next season. A Division I player.

Skip ahead to today. I had the opportunity to watch the entire game one of the Orlando Pro Summer League between the New Jersey Nets/Philadelphia 76ers team and Indiana Pacers.

Summer league rosters in the NBA if you don't know are mixed with unsigned rookies and free agents as well as bonafide NBA players. During the game the bonafide NBA guys, and in this game it was Chris Douglas-Roberts, Marreese Speights, Brandon Rush and Roy Hibbert, the bonafide guys really showed why they are legit NBA players.

The talent they have to get into the league and last and the skill and development they've achieved while in the league really show. The lesson here, is that the cream will rise to the top.

In both cases, the men's league game and the NBA summer league, in both cases the sheer talent was evident and shone through. When I've been out recruiting, often times I just wait and see if the talent will just show itself.

More times than not the talented players will stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment