Thursday, July 9, 2009

Greatness Breeding Greatness

This is most definitely a basketball blog. Nearly all of my posts are basketball related and this will be one of the few that strays slightly off the path of hoops, though not much. Its just that if something comes up worth talking about, I feel this is my outlet to get my thoughts down. The fact that a major story, which is so gripping that you can't help but get sucked in, has sucked me in. Obviously the biggest news sweeping the country has been the loss of the King of Pop Michael Jackson. The loss and subsequent tributes and coverage of Michael has been everywhere, and you just can't help but be consumed by it. I like everyone else has been swept up in it, so naturally I watched his public funeral at the Staples Center which was a very touching event.

What really struck me though and got me thinking was when Magic Johnson said his eulogy and words about Michael Jackson. Magic always is thoughtful and always speaks well so I wasn't surprised the way Magic came off. What got me thinking was when Magic talked about going on tour with Michael (can be found at 2:00 mark of youtube video).

Magic went on to say how Michael always had command of what was going on around him. The crew, his bandmembers, just everything...Michael was in command of it. He said that watching Michael out there performing and the genius of what he was doing, that he truly believed it made him a better point guard.

After he said this, my girlfriends mother who I was watching the funeral along with remarked how she thought that it was silly, that Michael made Magic a better point guard, based on the logic of - one is music and one is basketball.

And while this makes sense, certainly Michael Jackson is not going to make Magic Johnson a better dribbler or passer, I do believe that you can become a better point guard from watching him. Let me exlain.

It is obvious that when you watch Michael Jackson perform that you are watching genius. Genius. A simple Youtube search and you have endless footage of video where you can see that. It is a lot like my last post, the cream rises to the top, sometimes the talent is just so immense that it just comes through the screen. It becomes real. That was Michael Jackson performing.

Now, lets say you're Magic Johnson. An emerging point guard, blessed with all the full toolbox of skill set that would allow to become the best point guard he would like to be. You're there, up close and personal with Michael, watching him, studying him. You are seeing a true master of what he is doing, up on stage, executing to perfection, and you are seeing him reap the benefits in fan approval. As a competitor, wouldn't this be inspiring? Would you not get to a gym immediately to try and perfect your craft the way Michael had his? These are the kind of effects I believe Magic was talking about when spoke about Michael making him a better point guard.

Greatness really does breed greatness. One great of music (Michael) was inspiring another emerging great of basketball, Magic. Inspiration can come from anywhere, be it song, written word, spoken word, video. Basketball players can be inspired by teammates, coaches, competition. Michael Jackson's music and performances can do a lot of different things, but for me its been an inspiring thing. Its sad that he has passed for sure, but his music will live on forever and will inspire future greats at whatever they do forever. RIP Michael Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment